Children, Youth and Families Ministry Coordinator
We are currently looking to hire a new Children, Youth and Families Ministry Coordinator. The position is part-time, up to 90 hours/month. Please see the complete job description below.
Interested parties should send a cover letter, resume and references to Brandee Leibrand at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to the church office, attn. Brandee Leibrand: 11560 SE Market St. Portland, OR 97216.
Position Title: Coordinator of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries
Position type: Part-time, @90 hours/month: consistent office hours, some evening and weekend hours, in conjunction with activities, events and programs
Pay: $15-$20/hour, depending on qualifications. Two weeks (40 hours total) paid vacation per year. Work related mileage is reimbursed, as is Continuing Ed, up to $500, with approval.
Responsible to: Church Council, Pastor, the mission of GLC
- Identify creative, fun, engaging, faith-building opportunities for children, youth and their families to develop, enhance, enrich, and enjoy their participation in church life
- Plan and implement activities and ministry programs to reflect all that creativity, fun, faith, and engagement for children, youth (birth to 18) and their families, with special focus on Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Christmas pageant, youth gatherings, and Cluster/Synod events.
- Consult regularly with the pastor to coordinate worship events (blessing of backpacks, etc.), educational programs (Sunday School, VBS, etc.), and other activities
- Lead the CYFM committee (a resource for support, collaboration, and assistance) in monthly meetings to plan and implement activities, events and programs.
- Research, order/buy appropriate educational/event materials so that they are available when needed
- Communicate information about activities and events to the congregation, partner churches, and the community with a variety of sharing tools (announcements, Facebook, GLC website, bulletin boards, posters, inserts, etc.)
- Recruit congregation volunteers for activities and programs involving CYFM.
- Maintain office and storage/supplies in good order
- Attend staff, Gethsemane Council and Cluster Youth meetings
- Attend at least one continuing education event per year that relates to ministry to children, youth, and their families.
- Prepare the proposed annual budget for recommendation to the CYFM Committee and the congregation council.
- Seek grants and other funding for CYFM programs, activities and events through the Oregon Synod, ELCA, or other appropriate agencies.
- Participate in annual evaluation, with the pastor and the congregation council
- High school diploma or equivalent; courses or degree in childhood education preferred
- Experience working with children, youth, and families
- Member in good standing of a Lutheran congregation; other Christian denominations considered
- Ability to articulate and support Lutheran Christian tenants, including worship traditions, a theology of grace and inclusion, and ELCA social statements
- Ability to use time effectively, efficiently, and creatively
- Computer skills: Word processing, social media platforms, spreadsheets, presentation software
- Attendance at all CYFM activities, programs, and events
- Regular attendance/participation in GLC worship
- Must pass background check
Note: There is a 6-month probationary period.